25.9.06

walk to work

Before i left for work today, Jon said "life is always good if you can still afford tea." I drank some green tea when I got to work. Its warmth was very soothing. I don't think I've ever had any beverage that has had the same effect on me.

I walked past the school right next to my house. A woman just dropped her child off at the side of the road. As her daughter ran out of the side doors, she said, "be strong minded!". I thought that was a strange parting comment. Most moms say "I love you" with their children hastily mumbling a response. I thought I would like to say that to my children right before they go to school someday. "Be strong minded!".

This reminded me of the time my grandfather used to pray over me right before I had to take exams. He would ask god to help me, and to give me presence of mind. I always liked that too, when he asked god to give me presence of mind. It always made me feel more confident right before tests.

I wonder what I will tell my children, have presence of mind! Or be strong minded! Im not sure. Depends on the occasion I suppose.

It was the evil bus driver who picked me up at the bus stop again today. She is very particular about people not stepping over the "yellow line". Despite our efforts, the bus always gets very crowded, and invariably someone spills over the yellow line. This bus driver will most definitely flip out, and bitch about the yellow line. It is very distressing. I hope she gets transferred to driving another bus line.

I got two applesticks instead of one today. I told myself I would only eat one on the walk to work, and then eat the other one on my desk with a cup of tea. I couldn't help it and ate both before I got to work. Rats. Although, the two applesticks was characteristically soggy today. I really dislike it when my foodstuffs are soggy. It is possible that my obssesion over the right proportions of meat and starch in my mouth could be related to this.

There was a charming two year old girl who said hello to everyone on the street right before I got to work. She said hello to me, with her wide brown eyes. Children are lovely things. I don't know why I've grown to be fond of them; It must be part of growing old.